OR Manager Conference: Top 10 Reasons You Should Go (and a 20% discount)!
It’s that time of year again: The OR Manager Conference! Each year, OR Manager puts together top speakers and interesting workshops in a new location for the perioperative and surgical services community. This year the conference is September 17-19, in Nashville, Tennessee.
10. Music City USA
Nashville has truly earned a place among the top cities to visit in the US in recent years. Although it is known for music (all kinds, not just country!), you’ll be happy to know that there is plenty of food, world-class shopping, and fun activities to keep you occupied in your down time. You might even want to extend your trip into a real vacation!
9. Earn CEs and AEUs
This isn’t just for fun and learning – you can also earn CEs and AEUs! Up to 19 CE credits are available from workshops, breakout sessions, keynote speakers, poster presentation, and exhibitor presentations. BASC Provider #1301 is offering up to 16.75 AEU credits at the conference in addition to 6 credits for the Sunday pre-conference workshops.
8. OR Manager Conference Awards
Tuesday afternoon, join in on the celebration of this year’s top OR Managers! First, you can attend a luncheon to view the awards, then afterwards, continue the festivities with a special dessert reception. Who can resist free treats?!
7. Networking Events
Throughout the OR Manager Conference, there are myriad opportunities for networking, getting to know each other, and finding out about new opportunities. Some are sponsored by the conference itself, such as the Music City Rodeo Kickoff Party on Monday evening. Others are brought to you by people like us!
Be sure to catch our Happy Hour at the Barlines, located in the Omni Nashville Hotel, on Tuesday, September 18, from 5-7 PM. Join Jim, Caitlin, and Rachel for a free drink on Whitman Partners!
6. Eat and Learn
There are several meals and presentations included as a part of your conference registration. Here’s the complete list:
- Monday, breakfast: “It’s the 21st Century: Making Marijuana Usage a Component of Your Patient Assessment,” Lois Schick, MN, MBA, RN, CPAN, CAPA, FASPAN, from Lutheran Medical Center
- Monday, lunch: “Patient Positioning Safety: What Happens When Things Go Wrong?,“ D.A. Surgical
- Tuesday, breakfast: a presentation by Ecolab
- Tuesday, lunch: OR Manager Awards
- Wednesday, breakfast: “Grace Under Fire: The Resilient Nurse Leader,” led by Jane McLeod, MSN, RN, from Capstone Leadership Solutions, Inc.
In between all of the interesting workshops and speakers, taking a stroll through the exhibition hall is a must! There will be over 130 exhibitors and sponsors to speak with from all aspects of the industry. Many of the exhibitors will also be hosting their own events or offering CE credits, so keep an eye out for these extra opportunities! Also, be sure to come say hello to Jim, Rachel, and Caitlin at the Whitman Partners booth at #936, next to AORN and the OR Manager Lounge.
The OR Manager Conference has grown to become a conference for people all throughout the surgical and perioperative services industry from rookies to experienced leaders, and in all departments. Since each attendee has their own interests and experience level, the OR Manager Conference offers 10 different tracks to help you choose what sessions to attend:
- OR Business Management
- New Manager
- Masters Series
- PACU Manager Summit
- Trending Topics
- General Interest
Even with the tracks to help you narrow down your options, there are still many workshop sessions to choose from. Our top picks are:
- Monday, 1:30-2:45PM, Room 207 CD: “AMA (Ask Me Anything): I Don’t Know What I Don’t Know,” by David Wyatt, PhD, RN, NEA-BC, CNOR from Vanderbilt University Medical Center; Amy Bethel, MPA, BSn, RN, NE-BC from UnityPoint Health Des Moines; Donna J. Doyle, DNP, RN, CNOR, NE-BC from OhioHealth Grant Medical Center; and Beth Bozzelli, MBA, RN, CNOR, CSSM from HCA Healthcare
- Tuesday, 2:00-3:15PM, Room 202: “OAS CAHPS: What it Means to Your Facility,” by Nicole Hoke, MSN, RN, CCRN, CCNS and Colleen Mattioni, DNP, RN, CNOR from Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- Wednesday, 8:15-9:30AM, Room 208: “Invest in Your Team: Methods for Staff Skillset Tracking and Development” by Jerome Santos, DNP, MBAc, BSN, BA, RN from Stanford Health Care and Rosemary Welde, MBA, BSN, BCC, RN from Stanford University Medical Center
2. Keynote Speakers
No OR Manager Conference would be complete without a full offering of engaging and exciting keynote speakers. This year, you can look forward to the following:
- Opening keynote: “Reality Based Rules of the Workplace: Boosting Employee Value and Happiness at Work,” by Cy Wakeman from Reality-Based Leadership
- Tuesday’s morning keynote: “Perioperative Leadership 2023: Own Your Future or Be Disrupted By It,” by Craig Deao, MHA, from Huron and Studer Group
- Tuesday’s afternoon keynote: “Second Victim’s Silver Lining: Creating a Culture of Patient Safety,” by Ridley Barron, author of Twist of Faith
- Closing keynote: “IQ Will Get You Hired, EQ Will Get You Promoted,” by Meg Soper, RN
1. Discount (Advanced Rates ends 8/31)!!
Finally, the moment you have all been waiting for…how to get your 20% discount! It’s so easy – just go to https://www.customreg.com/GENERALREG30/default.asp?SHOW=AI_ORMANAGER_092018&IDEVENT1=1&S=WHITMANPARTNERS and use the code WHITMANPARTNERS to receive 20% off of registration!
Also – be sure to hurry if you want to save an additional $120 – the advanced rates end on 8/31!