Tips for Updating your Resume
Your resume should always reflect your most recent, relevant and most valuable skills. Now is a great time to think about your recent accomplishments and add them to your resume. You never know when the next awesome job opportunity will arise.
Tips to Consider
- Write concise explanations of your past experience which is 15 years or older. Remove experience that is not relevant.
- Make your experience section easy to skim. Long paragraphs, too many bullets can be problematic. It’s best to alter between short paragraphs and bullet lists.
- In your experience section, be sure to list the attributes of the facility you worked at, for example – Level 1 Trauma, Acute Care Facility, 26 Operating Rooms, 26,000 cases annually, Reporting to COO
- Include a skills section of core competencies or key skills that are reflected throughout your resume. This will allow the reviewer to skim your abilities and get a quick sense of who you are.
- Think about other things to include in your skills section – Taken a class? Mastered a new program? Started giving presentations? List all your professional skills, consider removing dated skills. Identify the top 8-10 related to the job you are applying for and list those first.
- Refresh your contact information if necessary
- Check your keywords: Look at job descriptions posted in your industry and look to see what experience and skills are listed.
Multiple Page Resume
- Write a brief synopsis that includes your expertise and professional skills that make you a strong candidate. (Summary of Qualifications)
- Highlight accomplishments by giving brief real-life examples.
- Start with your most recent job first
- It’s appropriate to include two to three job descriptions in your experience section, but shouldn’t present more than 15 years of work history.
- Focuses on the skills and experiences that make you a strong candidate (ideal for those who have gaps in their employment history)
- Provide specific examples of projects, tasks, and assignments you have completed
Do you need help making updates to your resume? We can help. Submit your most current resume below along with your information and one of our experienced Portfolio Managers will be in touch with you soon.
Interim Travel Intake Form
Doyle, Alison. TheBalanceCareer.com