Publisher’s Note, February 2017
Good news. This issue is not about politics or the New England Patriots. You’re getting enough of that elsewhere. But there is something we need to acknowledge because it is no longer off in the future, but happening now. Millennials are now surpassing the Baby Boomer population in the United States. And with that they are quickly becoming the dominant players in the workforce.
What does this mean for a Director of Surgical Services? Studies have shown that Millennials live on their mobile devices, get their news online, and rely heavily on mentoring and feedback in their jobs. You and your staff need to be aware of this, and position yourself accordingly. Millennials have their own unique perspective on job loyalty, career trajectory, and interpersonal relationships. Their views on any one thing may not seem radical, but taken as a whole they are clearly a generation with strong opinions and habits that may sometimes seem at odds with the established work order and leadership structure. This means that Directors of Surgical Services need to continually rethink the way they manage and connect with staff of all ages.
We are currently working hard to bring specific content from industry experts on topics such as this. We hope you will not only read our content but also share with your team. I believe it will lead to positive dialogue, new solutions and healthier business, and deeper relationships.
– Josiah Whitman, Managing Partner, Whitman Partners
We are fortunate to have such great relationships with directors and managers from across the country. We couldn’t provide the resources and content of this publication without the input and assistance of those who took time from their busy schedules to participate and share their knowledge. We’d like to thank the following for their contribution to this issue:
- Britta DeVolder, MBA, BSN, RN, CNOR, AORN, Executive Director of Perioperative Services at University Hospital in San Antonio, Texas
- Lynn Crowley, MHA, BSN, RN, CNOR, Texas Regional Director of Perioperative Services for Tenet Healthcare
- Dennis Glover, BSN, MSN, MBA, former Director of Surgical Services at Baptist Beaches Hospital in Jacksonville, Florida
- Lisa C. Waters, BSN, MSN, Administrator and Director of Nursing Surgical Services at Vivere Dallas Surgery Center
- Karen Benedict, RN, BSN, MSN, former Director of Perioperative Services at Sarasota Memorial Hospital